The Lion Hotel occupies one of South Australia's most historic buildings and takes its name from the Lion Brewery which was built on the site in the early 1870's.
In its time, the Lion Brewery was the most modern brewery in Australia.
The Lion Hotel was constructed soon after - and over the next 26 years, the Brewery purchased and supplied a number of other hotels in the area. The Lion logo became widely known and respected as a symbol of quality and fine hospitality throughout the fledgling colony of South Australia.
Brewing ceased in 1914 but the brewery continued to operate as the Lion Aerated Water and Cordial Manufactory for the next half-century.
In the 1970's the complex - incorporating the heritage buildings - was redeveloped into a diverse and successful hospitality and entertainment venue, trading under the name "The Old Lion". During the heady 70's and 80's it resumed its mantle as the premier hotel and function centre in Adelaide, echoing the reputation it had a century before.
The non-trading freehold of The Old Lion was purchased by the current owners in 1996. After a massive redevelopment which included a totally new fit out within the heritage buildings, the re-born LION HOTEL opened for business in 1997.